Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Strawberry crumble bars

Strawberry crumble bars / Barrinhas de morango com cobertura de crumble

One of the movies I’ve watched a dozen times and will watch again every time it’s on TV is “Under the Tuscan Sun” – can’t get enough of all those beautiful locations! And Diane Lane is absolutely gorgeous – I think Joao has a crush on her, but I don’t mind. :)

Last week I received the latest issue of my favorite magazine and there it was: a recipe for beautiful rhubarb crumble bars – because of my current rhubarb/strawberry obsession I considered it a sign - and much better than the one Francesca received in Bramasole. :)

Strawberry crumble bars
adapted from Donna Hay magazine

Base:
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon (78g) caster sugar
1 ½ cups + 2 ½ tablespoons (225g) all purpose flour, sifted
½ teaspoon baking powder, sifted
pinch of salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
100g unsalted butter, melted

Strawberry filling:
450g strawberries, hulled and chopped*
½ cup + 1 tablespoon (112g) caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Crumble topping:
1 ½ cups + 2 ½ tablespoons (225g) all purpose flour, sifted
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon (78g) caster sugar
150g cold unsalted butter, chopped

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Butter a 20x30cm (8x12in) baking pan and line with foil, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides. Butter the foil.
Place the sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, egg and butter in a bowl and mix to combine. Press into the base of the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and firm. Let cool completely.
While the base is baking, make the filling: place the strawberries, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and toss to combine. Set aside.
Make the topping: place the flour and sugar in a bowl and mix to combine. Add the butter and use your fingertips to rub it into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Using a slotted spoon and shaking off any excess juice, distribute the strawberries over the base**. Top with the crumble topping and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden.

* or use 500g rhubarb, chopped, instead

** don’t throw the juices away – pour them over some yogurt, yum!

Makes 16 – I made 2/3 of the recipe above and used a 20cm (8in) square pan

26 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that movie too, puts me in a good mood. These bars look great

Aaron John said...

These bars look great! Gotta love strawberries!

Bakericious said...

love the crumble top, yummy.

Anonymous said...

AAAH! These look wonderful. Oh man.

The Urban Baker said...

perfection! love crumb bars!

Anonymous said...

cute! these look adorable and gorgeous at the same time :)

Window On The Prairie said...

I've had a craving lately for strawberry bars. I'll have to give this one a try.
Suzanne

Patty said...

Super lovely Patricia!

katerina said...

Those are perfect little crumb bars!

Heather said...

These look scrumptious! A perfect treat for this time of the year with all the strawberries on the market.

Cherine said...

Love those crumbles! Look soooo good!!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah - I love slices like these - I normally make a raspberry/coconut type one - drooool!

Erica Lea said...

Hmmm...they look scrumptious! I love crumble bars. Love the way you styled these.

~~louise~~ said...

Dare I say, I've never seen that movie...I'm not much of a movie buff per se. I am, however, a lover of all things strawberry and those Strawberry crumble bars of yours look absolutely mesmerizing! May I have just one?

Thanks for sharing, Patricia. Oh so delightful!

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker said...

I just discovered your beautiful blog and I love it! These crumble bars look incredible. I am going to make them sometime for sure...

Katie said...

Just beautiful! You've managed to cut them so cleanly. Delicious

Patricia Scarpin said...

Jennifurla, thank you!

AJ, thank you!

Jess, that crumble top is delicious! Thank you!

Lovely Android, thank you for stopping by!

Susan, thank you, darling!
xx

Milly, thank you! I'm glad you like them!

Suzanna, thank you for stopping by! I hope you like the recipe.

Patty, thank you!
xx

Katerina, thank you very much!

Heather, thank you! We're having lots of strawberries here too, I love it. :)

Cherine, thank you!

Alicia, I have made that type already too and it's delicious, you're so right! :)
Thank you, sweetie!

Erica Lea, thank you, darling!

Louise, I'm a movie freak, so bear with me, sweetie. :)
You may have as many as you want!
xoxo

Clare, thank you for stopping by! I hope you give these a go - my coworkers loved them!

Katie, thank you, darling! They were rather easy to cut, and I wasn't expecting that! :)

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Patricia, I immediately recognized these from the photo on the DH website (the magazines get to the US only months after their release date so I don't get the hard copy til August :/). Yours look just as tempting, which is to say VERY!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Xiaolu, that is SO flattering, sweetie!
Thank you - you made my day! :)
xx

Heidi said...

Oh im so happy i found your blog through vogue, it is gorgeous! So many tempting recipes. I have my eye on the chewy strawberry almond bars! These look delicious aswell.

p.s. i LOVE under the tuscan sun too

Heidi xo

Patricia Scarpin said...

Heidi, thank you for stopping by! These bars are really good, I hope you give the recipe a try!
xx

Leah said...

Wow love the bars they look so delicious.
And I love the movie also. I may have worn out the dvd from watching it so much.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm intending to make some of these later this evening for an event next Monday. Should I fridge it when it's done or is it safe to keep it out unfridged?

Patricia Scarpin said...

Leah, tks for stopping by! That is a lovely movie, indeed. :)

Shu, you can keep the bars out of the fridge, but keep them in a cool place, if possible.

leebee said...

Thanks for the recipe, I just baked a batch today. They're so light and soft, perfect for tea :) I think in the future I'll use a little more strawberries.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Leebee, that is great news! Thank you for letting me know how the recipe turned out for you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails