Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Chocolate pavlovas and two surprises on the same TV show

Chocolate pavlova / Pavlova de chocolate

I was never aware of Jon Hamm before Mad Men (and apparently I wasn’t the only one) and despite my pet peeves with the fifth and part of sixth seasons I must be honest: there could not be another Don Draper – he’s just perfect for the part.

Being used to watching a very serious – and sometimes rude – man on the show it was a surprise to see him in a comedy, and days ago I was even more surprised with him pulling off a dark comedy show, and doing it brightly. The amount of shock doubled when I saw on that same show that Harry Potter, I mean, Daniel Radcliffe is absolutely amazing portraying someone completely different from HP – I never imagined he had such great timing for comedy.

Everything about A Young Doctor's Notebook is superb: the supporting cast, the writing, the production. It was some good two hours I spent in front of TV and I now eagerly wait for another season – while that doesn’t happen, let’s keep Mother Russia in mind with this delicious dessert created in honor of Anna Pavlova.

Chocolate pavlovas
adapted from the wonderful Bon Appetit Desserts, inspired by the beautiful Annie Bell's Baking Bible

Meringues:
4 large egg whites (112g)
pinch of salt
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
½ teaspoon white vinegar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted

To assemble:
1 cup (240ml) chilled heavy cream
1 tablespoon icing sugar, sifted
200g fresh raspberries

Meringues: preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Line a large baking sheet with baking paper.
Using electric mixer, beat egg whites and salt in large bowl until frothy. Add cream of tartar. Continue to beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until whites are thick and resemble marshmallow creme, about 5 minutes. Beat in cornstarch, vinegar, vanilla and cocoa. Drop meringue onto prepared sheet in 6 mounds, spaced 5cm (2in) apart. Using back of spoon, make slight depression in center of each.
Place meringues in oven. Immediately reduce temperature to 120°C/250°F. Bake until meringues are dry outside (but centers remain soft) and pale straw color and lift easily from parchment, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cool on sheet on rack. (Can be made 8 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)

Before assembling the pavlovas, beat cream and sugar in medium bowl until medium peaks form.
Place meringues on plates. Spoon whipped cream into the center depression. Arrange raspberries top of the cream.

Serves 6

5 comments:

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

I have never made pavlovas but now I want to - your chocolate version looks heavenly!

Julia said...

I agree about A Young Doctor's Notebook! I watched it last month and it made you cringe and laugh out loud. Now, it was hard to believe that Radcliffe was supposed to be a younger version of Hamm, but it was great, nonetheless.

anilou said...

These look gorgeous. I rarely make pavlova even though they are believed to be created here in Australia, New Zealander's will disagree with that one though!

Lily (A Rhubarb Rhapsody) said...

I adore pavlovas. They're my go-to when I have left over egg whites. Something about the crisp shell and chewy inside that fills me with sugary joy! I've never made chocolate pavlova though, it looks delicious!

Cakespy said...

These are so adorable...and I love that it's a chocolate pavlova. I think those flavors would work great - different from the "traditional" kiwi but in a very good way!

Related Posts with Thumbnails